Sunday, November 6, 2011

Prawns Biryani

On a Sunday before Diwali, I prepared this Prawns Biryani. The aroma had spread across my entire house.
Little did my Hubby Dear know what was cooking in the kitchen. But at the back of his mind he knew that something special was on his way.



At the lunch time, I served this Biryani along with "raita". Raita was made up of curds and grated carrot, finely chopped capsicum, 1 green chilly and a little of chopped coriander leaves. The Biryani is always incomplete without raita.

While serving I gave my serving table a little bit of restaurant look. Kept some table mats and used new crockery to serve the dish. My hubby just could not believe that this Biryani was cooked by me. But the smell in my kitchen was a big proof that it was cooked by his Dear wife :) He just loved the taste and he kept on asking me how I got the orange color and blah blah blah...At the end he told me to prepare such a type of Biryani again.

This time I could not give the Biryani to my little one, because it was a bit spicy and also because she was sick. But I will surely prepare this again for both my dearies... my hubby dear and my little baby gal. They are my world and the pillars which keeps me rocking.




Ingredients:
20-25 shelled prawns
2 big onions
10 cloves
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp cumin seeds(Jeera)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 inch ginger
2-3 green chillies
1 1/2 cup Basmati rice
2 tomatoes
7 peppercorns
10 cashew nuts
1 tsp cardamon powder
Pinch of orange food color
2 bay leaves
4 red chillies
10 garlic flakes
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
Salt to taste



Procedure:

Marinate the prawns by applying 1 tsp chilly powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp salt.

Wash the rice and keep aside for at least 30 Min's. After 30 Min's, boil the rice by adding bay leaves and 2 peppercorns. Add 1/2 tsp salt to the rice. Let it be par boiled or semi-boiled. Drain the water and spread the rice on a flat strainer and let it cool and dry under the fan. Add 1 tsp cinnamon powder and 1/2 tsp pepper powder to this.

In a kadai/wok, add 2 tablespoon oil and fry peppercorns, green chillies cut length wise and coriander leaves.
Add onion and fry till onion becomes pinkish. Add the tomatoes and cook till it turns mushy.

Grind ginger,garlic and the other masalas to a fine paste. Add this to the onion/tomato mixture in the kadai and mix properly.
Grind the cashew nuts to a thin paste by adding 2 tablespoon water.
Add this cashew nut paste and the marinated prawns to the kadai and cook for 10 Min's.
Add salt to taste.

To the rice apply little bit of orange food color. Do not apply colour to the whole rice. Just to 1/4 of the par-boiled rice. Mix the orange rice with the white rice.

In a deep bottom pan, apply little oil at the bottom. Now spread one layer of rice. On this spread one layer of the gravy. On this spread another layer of rice, then gravy and continue to do so alternately till the gravy is over. Do not switch on the gas.
In the same kadai, deep fry half onion cut length wise till it becomes brown and crisp. In the same oil fry some dry grapes and cashew nuts.
Spread this on top of the rice.

Now make 4 holes in the rice and put in 1 tsp butter in each hole. Cover with a lid.
Switch on the gas and let it be on low flame. Switch it off after 5 Min's.

Linking this to "Royal Feast - Biriyani".




24 comments:

  1. Visit me soon Archana, I will prepare this for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!look so tasty!!& nice clicks too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A royal, delicious biryani...
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious prawns biriyani..yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Amy, Pratima and Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Deepa,Torview and Treat and Trick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy biriyani...so very flavorful...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super flavourful biryani, makes me hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Anu and Priya do come home whenever you feel like eating this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi raksha, never tried prawn briyani before, this recipe looks great to follow..thanks for sharing dear

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Raksha you are a star... first one to link up and the dish looks stunning..
    I love prawns and I am going to follow this recipe..:)

    Thanks for linking it to the event..

    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  12. Special Upload For Speical People Great. I always welcomed your blog. By Regards Brochure Printing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    Me n my mom prepared the dish n it turned out to b AWESOME.....it was super yummy and i was actually licking my finger after having Birrryani...

    Thank U for this Wonderful tasting Biryani..


    - Heena

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    Me n my mom prepared this Biryani n it turned out to be sooo AWESOME.... I was actually licking my fingers as it was very yummy.


    Thank U for this Wonderful Biryani.

    -Heena

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,

    This is my favourite dish. Whenever my wife cooks it and I too keep licking my fingers and I can identify from its aroma in my house.

    Regards,
    Maruti

    http://mymightierpen.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the wonderful comments.

Comment moderation is on and all spam comments will be deleted, specially
anonymous comments which have links to some websites.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...